1) This first link is an article by Andrew Kniss, UW professor.
2) GMO Answers is an online community using a variety of experts to answer questions people have about GMOs.
This is an extremely important question. Numerous questions similar to this and related topics have been submitted to GMO Answers, including questions about reports claiming that glyphosate causes breast cancer and about a Séralini study (now retracted) claiming GMOs caused cancer in rats, among others.
We know that consumers have concerns, so we reached out to Dr. Kevin Folta, University of Florida interim chairman and associate professor, Horticultural Sciences Department, for an answer. “The short answer is no, there is absolutely zero reputable evidence that GMO foods cause cancer,” he writes.
Additionally, the health and safety of GMOs have been validated by many independent scientists and organizations around the world. For example, there are over 1,080 studies about the health and safety of GMOs, and a decade of GMO research, funded by the European Union, that finds that GMOs pose no greater risk than their conventional counterparts can be found here: http://ec.europa.eu/research/biosociety/pdf/a_decade_of_eu-funded_gmo_research.pdf.
In addition to Dr. Folta’s response, this study reviews seven cohort studies and 14 case studies and finds that there is “no consistent pattern of positive associations indicating a causal relationship between total cancer (in adults or children) or any site-specific cancer and exposure to glyphosate.”
There are also multiple resources (links below) which explore this topic on GMO Answers.
- Will I get cancer? Answered byDan Goldstein: http://gmoanswers.com/ask/will-i-get-cancer
- Have you reviewed the study showing that GMOs caused cancer in lab rats? Answered byAlan McHughen: http://gmoanswers.com/ask/have-you-reviewed-study-showing-gmos-caused-cancer-lab-rats
- How can you say that [GMOs] are safe, when recent studies (not conducted by Monsanto) show a direct link to breast cancer from glyphosate? Answered by John Swarthout: http://gmoanswers.com/ask/how-can-you-say-they-are-safe-when-recent-studies-not-conducted-monsanto-show-direct-link-breast
- If Glycophosphate (ROUND UP) is so safe why are there more and more articles by Scientists saying it causes cancer, birth defects and so on? If it is so safe why is it banned in many countries? Do you deny that scientists are saying these things, or are only Monsanto scientists smart enough to know it is safe/unsafe? Answered by Donna Farmer, PhD: http://gmoanswers.com/ask/if-glycophosphate-round-so-safe-why-are-there-more-and-more-articles-scientists-saying-it-causes
Thank you Wyoming Farm Bureau Federation!